Watermelon Sugar, Pineapple Upsidedown Cake
Sticky, Juicy, Clean
Chemex at 50g per 750g (1:15)
Adola Washing Stations
120 Dry Anaerobic
2,000 - 2,300 masl
Originally found in Ethiopia, Wush Wush is a low-yield, rare variety that has become popular over the past few years. Wushwush is a small area in southwest Ethiopia, not far from the renowned growing regions of Jimma and Sidama. Wushwush is known for its fertile highlands, where rich vibrant teas grow, with sensory similarities like those of Wush Wush coffee.
Our Wush Wush is natural processed and fermented for 120-140 hours before being dried. The combination of the extended fermentation plus the natural processing method results in a coffee that is very fruity, candy-like, and wonderfully foral.
Amazing complexity, syrupy body, and lingering sweetness in the cup…we can’t wait for you to try!
Typically, coffee is fermented for up to 3 days after it’s picked. This coffee was fermented for 4-6 days. Only ripe cherries are selected and laid out on African beds for sorting. The cherries are then put in PP bags and allowed to naturally ferment for six days and then put back out to the drying beds for about 12-15 days.
Israel Degafa is the owner of the Kerchanshe Trading Company, the largest producer and exporter in Ethiopia. Better production means higher quality coffee and that Degafa can sell his coffee well above the minimum rate that is set by the government. This ensures that all farmers are paid fair, livable wages, and gives 10% of the profit from Kerchanshe to local non-profits that benefit the immediate community. These benefits include clean drinking water, electricity, the building of roads, and schooling for local children.
The Chemex is an old school pour-over method, that produces a full body and beautiful clarity, due to its bonded paper filter.
Dosage: 50g coffee to 750g water (1:15) (yields 16-18oz, 2 smaller cups or 2 large cups)
Grind: Medium Coarse (like Kosher Salt)
Filter: Bonded Filters Pre-folded Squares (Natural)
Temp: 204°F (or right off boil)
Pre-Infusion/"Bloom": 100g water (1:2) for 30-45 seconds
Total Time: 4 minutes
- Separate 4 layers of filter: 3 layers on one side, and 1 on the other. Insert filter into Chemex, with the 3-layer fold on the spout side, and rinse thoroughly. Be sure to discard the water.
- Place on scale, tare, and add coffee; gently shake to settle the grounds; tare again.
- Start timer. Add 100g of water for a 30-45 second “bloom”, saturating the grounds evenly with circular motions.
- During the “bloom”, pick up the entire brewer and give it a swirl to agitate the grounds for even saturation.
- Add 650g more water in an aggressive manner, pouring in a circular motion and avoiding the edges. If needed, adjust the pour speed to maintain level bed (about ½ inch from the top of the brewer).
- Give it a gentle stir, make sure to stir around the edges of paper filter.
- Allow to for it to completely draw down (drain) and serve in pre-heated cup. Enjoy!