Brew Coffee with a French Press
Mar 25, 2022
The French Press is a full immersion brew method, that produces a rich and velvety body, with strong bold flavors.
We suggest using the Yama Glass 6 Cup Coffee/Tea French Press, or the SterlingPro Double Wall French Press (Dosage for Yama is slightly higher: 45-50g coffee to 720g-800g water (1:16) )
Dosage: 35g coffee to 525g water (1:15) (yields 16-18oz, 2 cups) (this dosage is for a 2 cup French press)
Grind: Medium Coarse (like Kosher Salt)
Filter: Bonded Filters Pre-folded Squares (Natural)
Temp: 204°F (or right off boil)
Pre-Infusion/"Bloom": 100g water (1:2) for 30-45 seconds
Total Time: 4-5 minutes
- Place on scale, tare, and add coffee; gently shake to settle the grounds, then tare again.
- Start timer. Add about 100g of water for a 30-45 second “bloom”, saturating the grounds evenly with circular motions.
- Add the remaining water; pour evenly to the top then replace plunger lid (DO NOT PLUNGE)
- At 3 minutes, stir the grounds to encourage even brewing–this helps to release CO2 gas.
- Replace plunger lid (DO NOT PLUNGE)
- At about 4 minutes, the coffee is ready to filter.
- Plunger down slowly, only plunging halfway – this is to avoid over-agitating the coffee.
- Decant any remaining coffee to fully stop brewing in the press. Enjoy!